Thinking of becoming a digital nomad? Whether you already are, or if you’re just beginning your adventures as a digital nomad, you’ve come to the right place.
While the freedom and flexibility of this lifestyle are exciting, it also comes with its own set of risks and uncertainties. That’s why finding the right travel insurance for digital nomads is essential to travelling without worries.
In today’s post, we’ll explore some key considerations when it comes to choosing travel insurance for digital nomads, so you can find the right policy for your specific needs. I’ll also go over some general tips and information on the nomadic lifestyle.
Getting the right policy is the main objective, but it’s also great to save money on your digital nomad travel insurance, so I’ll also be sharing my money-saving tips, as well as the best discounts currently on offer in February 2024.
What is the best travel insurance for digital nomads?
Finding the best travel insurance can seem like a headache, but if you’re familiar with the most relevant aspects of each policy, picking one is a piece of cake!
We’re going to cover a number of different companies currently offering travel insurance for digital nomads. Think carefully about your specific travelling needs, and the risks involved with your travel plans, so you can make an informed decision.
Let’s get into it!
Heymondo: digital nomad insurance with easy renewal
If you’re a digital nomad looking for insurance, here’s a Heymondo policy that you should consider.
It offers long stay travel insurance for digital nomads that is flexible, broad, and adaptable to the needs of travelling workers. It’s important to highlight the possibility of renewing the policy according to the pace of the trip.
I’ve created a summary of the most relevant benefits that this policy offers digital nomads, but first, a promotional offer available now for a limited time!
Get 5% off Heymondo travel insurance (valid until 29/02/2024)
Click here: Activate Promo Code
- You will be redirected to the official website.
- Select your insurance policy.
- Answer the questions and click on “Calculate the price”.
- Your discount will be applied automatically.
Advantages of Heymondo Long Stay travel insurance
- It offers medical assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in order to help you in any unforeseen event or problem.
- It has an app that includes a medical chat and an incident management section.
- It can be renewed whenever and however you want.
- It includes coverage for electronic equipment.
- It offers repatriation and early return.
- It offers delivery of medical goods all over the world, which is included with the medical assistance.
Travel insurance with unlimited medical expenses
Chapka’s Cap Adventure plan stands out for its unlimited coverage of medical expenses. This is a great advantage and, undoubtedly, eliminates any financial concerns regarding the price of healthcare at your destination.
Considering the consequences that Covid-19 had on travel, it’s always a good idea to err on the side of caution and treat your digital nomad travel insurance as an investment.
Cap Adventure is a great option if you’re a digital nomad seeking travel insurance, as it comes with many advantages suited to the nomadic lifestyle.
Get a 15% discount on Chapka Cap Adventure for families in February 2024:
Click here to Activate Promo Code
- You will be redirected to the official Chapka website.
- Fill in the form and choose the “Family” package.
- You will then receive your 15% discount!
*Offer available to families of 3 or more. There is currently no general discount on Cap Adventure.
For more information, visit Chapka’s official website.
Advantages of Chapka Cap Adventure
- It offers the possibility of contracting it at any time and from abroad.
- It has a medical teleconsultation service without additional charges.
- It includes 24-hour assistance and repatriation.
- It offers coverage for other types of medical expenses such as psychological, dental, optical or physiotherapy.
- It has private civil liability abroad, as well as legal advice.
IATI: the health insurance for digital nomads
IATI Star has positioned itself as one of the most comprehensive travel insurance policies on the market, and is also perfectly suited to adventure sports lovers, thanks to its broad coverage.
You should know that travelling as a digital nomad is not exclusively linked to work, and you need coverage for the exciting things you’ll get up to. In a new country, broad coverage like this is a must for those who enjoy any type of physical activity!
In addition, this digital nomad travel insurance policy has plenty more advantages – take a look below!
In February 2024, get a 5% discount on your IATI travel insurance
- Click here: Activate Promo Code
- Enter your travel details and click on “Get a quote”.
- Select your insurance policy and click on “Contract”.
- That’s it! The discount will be applied automatically to your quote.
Advantages of IATI Star
- It offers a single price regardless of the duration of the trip.
- It has coverage for more than a dozen adventure sports.
- It includes a broad accident guarantee.
- It can be taken out once your trip has begun.
- It includes early return in the event of border closures or a state of alarm at your destination.
Safety Wing, the insurance for family travellers
Safety Wing is another fast-emerging insurance company with great insurance options for digital nomads. In particular, it is the best option for travellers who bring their families around the world while teleworking.
This is because it allows you to include one child per adult at no extra charge. In addition, its medical coverage is very high and provides protection in case of evacuations, natural disasters, and other emergencies.
In February 2024, get SafetyWing Nomad Insurance for $45/month
- You will be redirected to the official SafetyWing website.
- Click on “Sign me up”.
- Fill in the form and follow the instructions by clicking on “Next”.
- That’s it! You will receive your travel insurance at the end of the registration process.
Advantages of Safety Wing Nomad Insurance
- Monthly payments are fully automatic.
- Includes medical cover during visits to your home country.
- Covers children from 2 to 10 years old.
- Offers medical cover for physiotherapy and dentistry, as well as chiropractic care.
World Nomads: digital nomads insurance
As the name suggests, World Nomads is an insurance company created by digital nomads, for digital nomads. World Nomads provides all the flexibility in a policy that is now regarded as essential for any digital nomad.
If you consider yourself an intrepid traveller, and you’re planning to live and work abroad as a digital nomad, I definitely recommend checking out World Nomads. One could even say that they are more than just an insurance company, but a community!
Advantages of World Nomads Insurance
- They have a multilingual assistance team available 24/7.
- Provide cover for over 200 adventure activities.
- Allows you to purchase more cover while on the road.
Comparing health insurance for digital nomads
By using the comparative table below, you can find all the best policies offering digital nomad travel insurance, and more importantly, the one that best suits your travelling needs.
This table was created by compiling the most useful and practical benefits that digital nomads are likely to have to use when living abroad for extended periods of time.
Long Stay Premium
Price for 3 months
Discount valid until 29/02/2024
– 15% for families
Get a Free Quote
Get a Free Quote
Theft or loss of luggage
All types of stays
All types of stays
All types of stays
All types of stays
IATI travel insurance
Word Nomads Insurance
Promo Code Chapka
Promo Code HeyMondo
Promo Code IATI
Where to live if you are a digital nomad?
If you are already a digital nomad, you will know that you can live and work in any country that offers a visa for digital nomads – see below for a link to the current list of destinations!
However, you should know that if you are a citizen of the Schengen zone, you have total freedom of movement to live and work in any country belonging to the same zone, without the need to apply for a visa.
However, it is essential to have travel insurance for digital nomads, or long stay travel insurance, to cover any medical expenses that may arise during your stay without any problems for your pocket.
What do you need to be a digital nomad?
To be a digital nomad, the most important thing is to have a job that allows you to work 100% remotely. Whether it is your own entrepreneurship or a job as an employee, it is essential to have freedom of time and movement.
It’s also good to have a strong work ethic and discipline. After all, travelling to the world’s most beautiful and exciting places can be a little distracting!
In addition, being a digital nomad means being willing to embrace the world and having a good ability to adapt to change, so you can work productively when you’ve arrived at your destination.
How to obtain a digital nomad visa?
Both the process of obtaining a digital nomad visa and their application requirements will differ from country to country.
Most countries require travel insurance for the granting of the application, as well as other aspects related to the minimum income or the validity of the passport.
The application steps are simple and intuitive. This is done in order to make it easier for users and to speed up the processes on the platforms. It’s about time it was made this easy!
Which countries have visas for digital nomads?
More and more countries are joining the list of destinations that offer a visa for digital nomads. There are already many countries to choose from, but more are expected soon!
Choosing one or another will depend on your preferences and the conditions for accessing the applications, remember that many countries have the purchase of digital nomad travel insurance as a basic requirement!
What is digital nomad travel insurance?
Travel insurance for digital nomads protects you while travelling and working remotely. This type of insurance typically covers a range of travel-related risks, including medical emergencies, trip cancellations, and lost or stolen property.
As a digital nomad myself, I can assure you, that having travel insurance allows you to focus on working and exploring new destinations without worrying about a potential financial nightmare. After all, that’s not why we became digital nomads!
To make the most of your insurance, it’s important to select a policy that covers all the destinations you plan to visit and the activities you plan to participate in.
With the right travel insurance policy, you can travel with peace of mind, and with the liberating feeling of being able to work and explore the world on your own terms.
How much does digital nomad travel insurance cost?
The price of travel insurance for digital nomads will depend on several factors:
- The length of your stay abroad.
- The destination where you want to live and work.
- The coverage and benefits included in the policy.
- The insurance company.
Keep these factors in mind when comparing digital travel insurance policies, so you can get the best deal possible.
I calculated the average price and the cheapest price for the policies we’ve mentioned, so you can get an idea of how much you can expect to pay:
- Average price for 180 days of coverage: 320€
- Cheapest price for 180 days of coverage: 259€ (HeyMondo)
However, I should remind you that insurance is an investment, and broad coverage is the safe option, even if it means paying a bit extra.
What should my travel insurance for digital nomads cover?
Digital nomads have specific needs in relation to their unique lifestyle, so it really is essential for us to take out travel insurance. Here are some benefits that your travel insurance for digital nomads should have:
- Medical expenses: this is the most critical benefit that your policy should have, including coverage of medical fees for any illness or injury that you may experience while overseas. When living abroad for a long time, this is vital.
- Trip cancellation: your policy should cover the cost of cancelling or interrupting your trip due to unforeseen circumstances, such as a medical emergency, natural disaster, or political unrest.
- Repatriation: in case you need to return to your country due to illness or emergency circumstances.
- Electronic equipment cover: this is particularly important because our livelihoods depend on our electronics, our laptops, and phones etc. As a digital nomad, you need coverage for the cost of replacing lost or stolen belongings, such as your passport or wallet.
Another thing to look out for is whether a company offers 24-hour emergency assistance. Many companies provide 24-hour access to emergency assistance, which you can call if you need urgent help, which can be very reassuring while abroad.
How do I buy travel insurance for digital nomads?
Ultimately, it is essentially the same as buying any other type of policy, but there are some things you need to consider. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
The websites of the insurance companies I mention are straightforward and intuitive, so don’t worry!
- Go to the website of the insurer of your choice and click on the insurance option that you have decided on.
- Once you have selected the insurance, you will see a “Contract” button, or something similar. Click to start the contracting process.
- Then, fill in your trip details. Fill in the duration of the trip, the number of travellers, and the countries you will be visiting. Bear in mind that the minimum is 3 months, and the maximum is 12 months. There is always the possibility of renewal if the trip lasts longer! If you don’t know exactly which countries you’ll visit, select the “Worldwide” option.
- Fill in the details of each traveller and add a supplement if necessary. This is usually the cancellation or adventure sports option.
- Read the insurance conditions carefully, and that’s it! You now have your travel insurance, and you’re ready to embrace the adventure of the nomadic lifestyle!
Tips and tricks for saving money on your long-term travels
There are countless ways to make your travels cheaper. Choosing travel insurance for digital nomads that suits your lifestyle is vital, but remember that flights, accommodation, the card you use, and how you book your activities are crucial factors as well.
Budgeting and saving money becomes even more important when travelling for an extended period of time, so try to save where you can.
Here are a few tricks I’ve learned over the years, they take a little time and effort, but they’ll help you reduce the cost of your trip, so you can focus on the things you enjoy about travelling!
Fly at reduced prices
You know, flights don’t cost the same from all countries! To pay for my cheapest flights, I use NordVPN.
Basically, it’s a private network that allows you to access Internet sites from locations other than your own, and this can have some serious benefits:
In February 2024, enjoy a 59% discount on NordVPN.
Click here to activate your discount
Flights from Barcelona to Buenos Aires don’t cost the same if you buy them from Spain as from India, for example. So, once you’ve installed NordVPN, simply access websites like Skyscanner and compare prices by entering as if you were browsing from different countries.
The 8 countries from which it is cheapest to buy flights are: Malaysia, Bulgaria, India, Turkey, Romania, Indonesia, Portugal, and Thailand. Once you have NordVPN, head over to Skyscanner and start paying reduced prices for flights all over the world!
Stay at a discount all year round
Access Booking.com now and get discounts of up to 15% in February 2024 by becoming a Genius user.
There are also ways to save money when booking your accommodation with Booking. The first of which is becoming a Genius user, something you get from making 2 bookings (Genius level 1), and 5 bookings (Genius level 2).
As a Genius user in Booking.com, you can enjoy:
- Discounts on room rates.
- Free breakfast.
- Upgrades to superior room categories.
- Free parking.
- Late check-out.
- Welcome gifts.
In addition, there are hotels in Booking.com that directly offer you a 10 to 15% discount on your rate for being a Genius user.
Access to get discounts of up to 15% by becoming a Genius user.
Finally, Booking.com has a Minimum Price Guarantee program, so if you find a cheaper price for your hotel on any other website, they’ll match it!
Get the best travel card
If you travel frequently, the Revolut Metal Card is another great way to save money. For starters, they offer you unlimited currency exchanges without paying any fees!
The Revolut Metal Card allows you to make unlimited domestic transfers free of charge, and withdraw up to £800 a month from international ATMs.
If you spent £650 abroad in a month using a standard card, and withdrew £350 at ATMs, you would have paid around £44 in fees.
With the Revolut Metal card, you would have paid £0 in fees.
Reserve your activities and entertainment in advance
GetYourGuide is an indispensable tool for organising any trip to any destination. It’s a platform that helps you book tourism and leisure activities for your trip.
With GetYourGuide, you can book your activities online to avoid queues, and take advantage of a discount for online bookings. This way, you save time and money, so you can enjoy more activities during your trip!
You may be thinking that some of these money-saving techniques don’t seem like they’ll save you a lot, but trust me, if you save a little here, and a little there, you’ll end up saving a lot. It just takes a little commitment on your part!
Is taking out travel insurance for digital nomads worth it?
Leaving your regular life behind and embarking on the digital nomad journey can give you an unsettling feeling, and even some nerves, but I assure you, it’s one of the most exhilarating experiences imaginable!
You just need to take some important precautions. In short, travel insurance is a must if you want to live and work abroad, and getting travel insurance for digital nomads is the best way to ensure you have the right amount of coverage for your new lifestyle.
The insurance you choose will depend on your needs as a digital nomad and the countries you plan to visit to start your teleworking adventure. Once you have your travel insurance, you’ll be ready to set sail. The world is now your oyster!
I hope that today’s post has helped you reach a decision on your digital nomad travel insurance. We’re very excited to welcome you to the digital nomad community, and hope to hear from you soon! ✈️🌍